Sunday, January 6, 2013

Prologue



Mother of the Bride, Part 2: A Grandma Journey

And a new blog is born….

PROLOGUE

This is the blog I’ve been eagerly anticipating writing- the one I’ve planned since February 2012.  But you know what they say about plans….

My lovely bride is married 2 years and 4 months, even though she is past the bride stage and even past the newlywed stage.  Her lovely house is 6 minutes away, which puts a smile on my face.  I am thankful that she is in the same state as we are and as close as the next town. 

2012 is gone and I wish it good riddance.  It was a year full of heartache, sorrow, illness, and an awful hurricane on top of it all.  Even the spark of promise and hope was dissipated.  It began almost a year ago when we lost my wonderful brother-in-law, Scott, in an instant, when he collapsed on his bedroom floor; his effervescent presence vanished from our lives. 

Lindsay decided after her Uncle died, “life was too short and unpredictable”;  it’s time to have a baby and bring joy into our lives.  She got pregnant right away and on Valentines Day she and husband, Scott, gave us cards and gifts with the surprise announcement that we were to be grandparents sometime in October.  We were told to keep it a secret because of the uncertainty of the first trimester.  Just at the time when I thought I could share my happiness with everyone and begin a new blog, we got the awful news at the 12- week sonogram that the baby’s heart stopped beating.  Our hearts were broken. 

The year got worse and worse; I could write a book about 2012 and how awful it was.  Mark, my husband, dislocated his shoulder falling on ice in the backyard a few days before his brother died and has dislocated it three times since this accident.  It needs surgery; but instead of getting that surgery, he had to have emergency hernia surgery.  My brother-in-law’s children have been removed from our lives because of his nefarious ex-wife.  His home was in the ill-fated Rockaway Park, which was hit hard from Hurricane Sandy, and my sister-in-law is bravely trying to go on, recovering from all that she lost.   

Through it all, Lindsay and Scott persevered with their plans to have a baby and continued to try.  We waited and waited, hoping at least that she would get pregnant by the time her first baby was due- October 20th.  I prayed.  My mom prayed; she even got her friend from the senior center, Mary Lillian, to pray.  All we had to do was wait for our prayers to be answered.  Meanwhile, I kept looking suspiciously at Lindsay’s belly. 

Thanksgiving came– my favorite holiday.  Lindsay and Scott hosted Thanksgiving at their home as they did the year before.  They initiated a new holiday tradition this year and gave us little pieces of paper and told us to write what we were thankful for but not to write our name.  We were to put these little notes into a cup and then pass it around the table, take one out and guess who wrote it.  My mother picked the note that said “I am thankful for expanding our house by two feet”.  It took a while for us all to “get it” and discover that the two feet belonged to our grandbaby.  Our prayers were answered.  Thanksgiving did not let us down. 

Still, I was told by my very supersticious daughter that even though she was 12 weeks pregnant already, I was not to tell anyone until she gave us the okay.  So this blog lay dormant, but in my mind, I was writing it every day, cautious not to put any words to a page while still in the hapless year of 2012.  Although, some good things did happen in 2012- especially on Thanksgiving. 

And today, the first Sunday of 2013 is the beginning of my documentation as I enter this new journey…a grandma journey.  The number 13 has many good qualities. It represents the number of revolutions the moon makes around the earth in a year.  In ancient Israel, 13 was a sanctified number.  So, welcome! 2013

And my lovely bride, now a wife of 2+ years is 18 weeks pregnant.  The number 18 also has many good qualities.  In Hebrew, the word “Chai” means life and also is represented numerically by the number 18.    How fitting. 

And the grandma journey begins with the countdown of 21 weeks and 6 days to the estimated due date of June 8 and then the best journey of all:  as Grandma Jeannie. 


Nanny, with the Thanksgiving note, who will be Great Grandma soon!


No comments:

Post a Comment