Sunday, January 13, 2013

What's in a Name?


20 Weeks and 6 Days to Go (approximately, of course)

It’s a foggy Sunday Morning and we’ve all been up since around 6am;  me- because even though I prudently took a flu shot, somehow came down with the flu, Mark- because he couldn’t sleep (most likely because when I’m sick I moan all night and call out for him to tell him I’m sick) and my mother- probably because we’re up and she might as well be up with us.  The only one still asleep is Kim, who has the flu too. 

Actually, I’m probably up because I can’t seem to get enough room in a king size bed with a small size 18 pound dog.  When I had my 65 pound chocolate lab mix and she didn’t give me enough room, all I had to do was say, “Move, Coco” and she would obey.  Not Sonny- he thinks we’re sleeping in his bed.  He settles into whatever position I’m lying in and conforms to my body as if I’m a Tempurpedic mattress.  And when I try to move him- he stubbornly digs himself in and it feels as if he’s a 100 pounds.  If I can budge him even the slightest, he growls at me.  He’s an angel when he’s awake but when he’s sleeping, he acts like he’s an attack dog.  So I wake up all twisted and achy (feeling like the “grandma” I will soon become) and he jumps out of bed like he can be the first dog to compete in the Olympics for gymnastics. 

Added to the fact that I’m cranky from being sick and sleeping with an inconsiderate dog, I’m also upset because I was supposed to go with Lindsay today while her friend does an ultrasound for her.  Her friend, Renae, is an ultrasound technician and Lindsay is able to get ultrasounds if Renae can fit her in.  Now I can’t even be near Lindsay because I don’t want to get her sick.  I am very upset about this because I was really looking forward to catching a glimpse of my little granddaughter on the inside.  I am hoping somehow that we can “face-time” with our iPhones so I can possibly see the ultrasound that way. I might as well make use of all the advanced technology we have today.

Who would have thought that when I became a grandma I would be able to watch a sonogram through my phone?  On top of that I also have two apps on my iPhone, which give me weekly and daily reports of the pregnancy and another cute little “app” called “wee mail” which gives me email updates from the baby; and as I write this, I just got an alert on my phone with a new wee mail coming in, which says, “They say my movements feel like popcorn popping.  So that’s why you downed an entire bottle of squeezable butter.”  Yes the “wee mail” baby has a sense of humor. 

I have all these apps neatly arranged in a little folder on my phone along with an app for me- on menopause, which I really don’t use.  I also have two apps for baby names, so I can try to guess the mystery name of my granddaughter, which her parents refuse to divulge.  At first, Lindsay said that if I guessed the name she would tell me I’m right; so we had a few days of me being “Rumplestiltskin” and asking her all the possible names beginning with E, G, J or L.  Then Scott said that she should keep the name a secret.  Well touché- because now I’m keeping what the baby is going to call ME a secret, too.  I just checked out a few websites, which have unique names for grandmas.  It seems there are a vast array of names to choose from—and there’s even a book, The New Grandparents Name List, a Lighthearted Guide to Picking the Perfect Grandparent Name.  So there!

Meanwhile, when I talk to my granddaughter- and yes I talk to her because the pregnancy app said she would recognize voices, at first, I didn’t know what to call her.  So I began to call her by a fruit or vegetable, because that’s how the pregnancy apps describe the size of the baby.  Well, it does make sense to compare gestation to the produce department.  Possibly, Gwyneth Paltrow named her daughter “Apple” for this reason.  Initially, I called my granddaughter “my sweet potato”, then “my little mango”.  I even bought the fruit or vegetable that week and showed Mark the size of his granddaughter and had him carefully practice holding her.  However, the pregnancy apps are inconsistent; for example, at 17 weeks it could be the size of a turnip, a pear or an onion.  There’s even one week, I think 13, where they compared the baby to a shrimp- I don’t know how they got the fish department involved.  Finally, Lindsay decided to give the baby a nickname—Talulah.  So, that’s what I’m calling her now.  I even like that name. 

All this reminded me of a time, back in 2000, when I was traveling for business and sitting in an airport terminal in some state I don’t recall.  What I do recall, distinctly, is there was a young couple sitting at the gate with their little girl, an adorable toddler, maybe two years old.  The mom kept calling her “Sweet Potato”.  At that time, I used to carry a writing journal with me at all times because most of my work involved teaching teachers how to teach writing and I wrote this poem, based on all the different pet names we call our children.  I managed to dig up that writing journal and found the poem, dated December 9, 2000, a little more than 13 years old, when Lindsay was a young lady of 18.  Here it is….

Sweet Potato

Mommy calls me “Sweet Potato”,
Though I couldn’t tell you why. 
And when Daddy tucks me in at night,
He calls me “Tootsie Pie”. 

Nanny calls me her “Chocolate Chip Cookie”,
Cause that’s her favorite treat. 
And Poppy calls me “Sugar”,
Cause he says I’m very sweet. 

They also call me “Honey Bunny” and “Munchkin”
It all just sounds the same.
Could it be that honestly, they just forgot my name?


No comments:

Post a Comment